A Disney fan blog about the good things in life.

Sunday, July 29, 2018

Disney Cruise: Advice for my Neighbors (First Time Cruisers)

Word travels when you are a Disney fan. And while I certainly don't consider myself a Disney expert (I'll show you my Disney Cruise trivia score for proof of that), I most certainly have opinions. Recently my neighbor Katie asked for some Disney Cruise advice and I was more than happy to spout off. After finishing typing my thoughts, my husband said "that's a blog post". And you know what, he was right, it is!!!

So here was my advice to some first time Disney Cruisers. They are on the Disney Dream 4-day in a few weeks with their 3 daughters (all under 7 years old). There is still time to give them more tips...take a look and leave a comment to let me know what I missed!

*********

Hi Katie, 

Thanks for having us over this evening. Seeing you and talking about vacations (my fav topic) made me think of the draft email below which I have been meaning to send while it is still relevant. 

Let me know if you have any questions. I literally love talking about this stuff and happy to help however I can. 

Before you go:

1. You can pay for your onboard expenses with Disney Gift Cards. I buy them in bulk from Target, using my Target credit card. By doing it this way you basically save 5% when you purchase the gifts cards, so it's some free money. When you get on the ship you put the cards on your account with guest services. If you don't use it all, they will return the balance to you. If you go over, they just use whatever credit card you have on file.

2. If there is a Palo brunch offered, book it. You can book some things before you get on board and I HIGHLY recommend this. It's an extra $30 a person but it's 100% worth it. The kids will have to go into the kids club as it's adult only. You can order anything off the menu-- Brian LOVES the lasagna and I have a soft spot for the chick parm. There is also some traditional brunch options as well as a huge buffet. Order and eat it all, it's covered under the $30

Palo Brunch Menu
Palo Brunch: Order whatever you want for $30

Lasagna for brunch - yes, please!

Sticky buns make big buns, but whatever
Palo Chicken Parm
Chicken Parm is the new breakfast of champions
3. Each adult can bring on a small share of alcohol. You have to carry it on board and it cannot go into your checked luggage. It's another good way to save money if you know you might want a specific beer or a glass of champagne and don't want to pay the cruise mark up. We tend to buy beer when we are in port (Modelo in Mexico, Red Stripe in Jamaica.... that sort of thing). But basically the rule is 2 six packs or 2 bottles of wine/champagne per adult.

You can bring your own champagne OR hit up a tasting. You do you.


Getting on the ship:

1. Because this is your first cruise, they will give you an on-board time. Don't bother showing up earlier than that as you will only be able to board when they call your number. Here'a video of us gleefully skipping the line when we sailed Concierge the first time. I never said we weren't jerks.




2. They will take your bags from you and you won't see it again until about 3pm (at your room). Make sure to bring anything you want to use that day (sunscreen, bathing suits, medicine, etc) on board with you. Here we are getting on board-- we keep it simple. I think Brian only has a backpack with our swimsuits and anything we weren't comfortable checking (camera, Ipad, etc). 




3. I always order the water package when we get on board. There will be bartenders walking around  asking if you want the beer or water package. The free water on the boat is not great taasting and it's nice having it in the room. The mark-up is stupid (like $40ish for a box of Evian) but I never regret having it.

In addition to water, I also get the drink of the day. Obvi.

4. You will probably get on board around lunch time. Board the ship hungry and you won't be disappointed. There is a HUGE buffet in Cabanas on deck 11. They will likely also have a sit down lunch at one of the restaurants with some of the same offerings. 

My day 1 salad on the last cruise. Don't worry, I got fries too.

5. Your rooms will be ready around 1:30 and your bags will show up outside your stateroom before 3ish. You are required to attend the drill at 4:00ish. They will have announcements leading up to the drill in the room. Grayson hates this part of the day as the emergency alarm is LOUD. You do not need to show up at the drill until you hear the alarm. Lots of people go early-- don't be those people. Here's what you have to look forward to. That's me crying because I just want a cocktail...



6. Don't miss the sail away party-- right after the drill. The kids will enjoy it. If you stand on the right side of the ship (Starboard), you can wave to the Port Canaveral web cam. I have found my family and I after the fact in their sail away archives.
Next time I am bringing a sign

General boat stuff

1. I know you mentioned bedtime being 8PM. Because you have the early dining rotation, you will go to the 8:30 show. DON'T MISS IT!!! They are basically bite size broadway shows. You will probably be out of there around 9:15 and you will see loads of kids missing their bedtimes. I haven't seen it, but Beauty and the Beast is supposedly a must see. 

2. The pools. Not going to lie, the pools are small and crowded. If you want the kids to get a swim in, go early (like when the pool opens), spend an hour or so and leave when it starts to get crazy. There is plenty of other stuff to do. Naomi should be tall enough for the AquaDuck-- it's not scary, but it looks it. Just get there the minute it opens up for the day to avoid the lines. 


*Clears Throat* The early birds get the pool... to themselves


3. The kids club is amazing. The staff is amazing. The programming is amazing. This is what you are spending all that money on, so take advantage. They have "open houses" where you can all go in and play around. It gives the kids time to get comfortable with the space with you by their side, and  get used to the idea you might leave them there. Trust me, they will be fine. Should there be tears, someone will call you on your portable room phone that it's time for pick up. 10 cruises later and Grayson and Quentin basically sleep there.





4. Don't underestimate how seriously people take pirate night. People go bananas for their costumes and you will feel under dressed without an eye patch. Here is a photo of Captain Jack and I looking like we just bumped into one another at the mall.


He told me he was disappointed in my pirate effort. It still stings.


Anyway, I could go on and on but I'll leave the rest for you to discover and enjoy.
  
Go have fun and have a dole whip (with rum) from the pool deck bar for me.

All Disney trips should include boozy Dole Whips


See you soon (because I will be hiding in your suitcase),

Davina 
SHARE:

1 comment

  1. I really like your content it is really very inspiring for I guess I have selected a mind blowing and interesting blog.blogspot

    ReplyDelete

© Disney Best Friends | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig