A Disney fan blog about the good things in life.

Thursday, May 27, 2010

The Nap Nanny. Best. Invention. Ever.

So two nights ago was the trial run. The Nap Nanny came into our sleepless lives with promises of a more than two hour stretches (at best) of uninterrupted sleep.

As mentioned in my previous post, at first glance the Nap Nanny is nothing more than angled foam and a nubby blanket cover. My first thought upon seeing it was along the lines of "well that was a waste of $130."  But now that we have had a few days with this new device, I have to say that it may have been the best money ever spent.

I don't know why it works, but it does (I took the photo of Q to the left as I was typing this). My son who would never lay flat on his back and only could sleep on my chest or in the bouncy seat has made his opinion known by sleeping well more than his 2 hour stretches-- quietly settling in for 3, sometimes 4, hours.  As any sleepless parent knows, any extra sleep is good sleep.

What it is:
As mentioned, this is a piece of foam covered in a nubby fabric. There is a buckle around the waist. From the side it looks a bit like a rollercoaster. Babies seem to think it's magic.

What it is not:
There are no lights, no vibrations, no bounces. I was nervous at first because I thought that Quentin liked that movement and would balk at a stationary product. He's sleeping in it now and is as peaceful as can be... no battery required.

So the next question is, why didn't I keep on using the bouncy seat since that seemed to work? Well it was only marginally effective. Quentin would fall alseep but wake up just shy of 2 hours like clock-work. I liken it to falling asleep in a lazy-boy. Comfortable at first, but eventually you want to move to your bed.

The Nap Nanny seems to give him the peaceful sleep that was missing for his first few weeks of life. There is no weight limit so as long as you feel comfortable with your child in the seat, you can use it. They do recommend that once the baby can sit up, you start moving on to another method.

As a re-affirmation of Quentin's positive non-verbal sleep review, my two year old decided it would be fun to try it out. Upon sitting back he put his hands behind his head and exclaimed "comfortable!".

That's right dude, comfortable and sooooo worth it.

~Davina
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Disney Best Friends | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig