A Disney fan blog about the good things in life.

Monday, May 10, 2010

Smile if You're Worried

Yesterday I asked my husband if I worry excessively about our premature son.

"Yes," he replied. "But if we didn't go through what we went through with him I would call you out on it more."

What we went through was life changing. A month of roller coaster  emotions where one day I was home and pregnant, the next in the hospital ready to deliver a baby eight weeks early.

Our son has been home for six weeks now and we are taking him to his two month check-up today. I have a list of questions for the doctor, but what I really want to know is how I stop worrying. I can hear him now, making his baby noises in the pack-n-play and it's all I can do to keep myself from running over to him. Last night he slept on my chest... all night. I dread feeding him because his immature digestive system causes him to writhe in pain for a good 20 minutes after eating. He has not pooped in 6 days.

He has not smiled.

I am waiting patiently. All the books say 6 weeks. Six weeks for a normal full term baby to look at their parents and smile with a glitter in their eyes. The smile that is not gas and in response to the love and care that has been showered for the first few weeks.

However, premature babies have their own time-table. They go by when they should have been born, not by when they were born. By this calculation I am looking at the second week in June for my smile. The smile will mean many things on the development scale, but most of all it will be a sign. A sign that he understands that he's loved.

And maybe, I can stop worrying a little bit.

UPDATE: He Smiled!
http://thebestfriendsguideto.blogspot.com/2010/06/smile-if-youre-worried-update.html

~Davina
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Disney Best Friends | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig