A Disney fan blog about the good things in life.

Friday, May 28, 2010

COUCH TO 5K AND ME...A TALE OF A FATTY AND HER DESIRE TO RUN LIKE THE WIND



I have always thought of myself as a MODERATELY physically fit gal. I go to the gym several times a week, lift some weights, and have 2 active kids to keep up with. There's always room for improvement, but at least I'm trying. A few weeks ago my kids challenged me to a race....as in running. No sweat I thought, If I can't run faster than a 6 and 9 year old then I've got problems. I stretched it out, air punched like Rocky, played the Chariots of Fire theme song in my head and the race began. One minute later I was fanning myself like a church going lady on a hot Sunday murmuring "Oh lord help me " while the children still ran on. What the hell was wrong with me? I can't even run over a minute without severe trauma occuring? Something must be done about this.


I had heard several people reference a program called Couch to 5K so I researched it and found a free podcast on ITunes by a man named Robert Ullrey.




I added it to my ipod and away I ran. What is it?


Essentially it is a 9 week program that you run 3 days a week with days off in between. Currently I am on week 1. I had a setback with my sciatic nerve butt problem ( thanks baby number 2 ) and had to postpone starting. All is good now and I have to say that so far I am enjoying it. My podcast has music playing, I could'nt tell you what the songs were but they are fine for running, and it tells you when to run or walk. You start with a brisk 5 minute walk, then run in intervals of 60 seconds with 90 second walk breaks in between. This may sound easy but let me tell you it kicked my rumpshaker and I was sweating like a pig. The next day my leg muscles hurt and I felt like I never had exercised a day in my life, even though 2 days before I had used the elliptical.


I assume that as you move forward the intervals for running get longer with less walking break time in between. I'll keep you posted. I did also notice when I was on Itunes that there is an app you can buy for your Iphone that keeps track of everything for you.


My goal in all this is not to beat the best time at the next Boston Marathon...I simply want to have the ability to run some distance without clutching my chest like Sanford and Son thinking my time has come. I will not allow my children to out run me. Must.run.like.the.wind
Karen
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Disney Best Friends | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig